Kangaroo Island is Australia’s third largest island after Tasmania and Melville Island. It is situated around 112 kilometers southwest of Adelaide. It is situated around 13 kms offshore Cape Jervis which is on the tip of the Fluerieu Peninsula. Kangaroo Islands are a very famous tourist spot and the 140,000 visitors that come here every year only prove this point.
About Kangaroo Island
This island is home to various wildlife, plant life, shipwrecks, lighthouses and miles and miles of unspoilt beautiful beaches and river coastlines. Kangaroo Island boast of some of the best accommodation facilities that are made better by the many attractions it has to offer which you can sample through one of its tours. Kangaroo Island supports many sea creatures due to the bio diverse culture present here.
Interesting Sights and National Parks that you must visit here:
• Flinders Chase National Park which includes the Remarkable Rocks, Admiral’s Arch
• Seal Bay where you can get ranger guided walks amongst the basking Australian sea lions.
• The Lighthouses at Cape Borda and Cape du Couedic are a definite must see, and multiple walking trails and camping areas offer a great break form every day routines.
• Kelly Hill Caves
• The lookout Mount Thisby which was officially designated as Prospect Hill in the year 2002 to honour Matthew Flinders. This has a 360 degree view around the island.
• Cape Willoughby
• Little Sahara, that is the huge sand dunes on the south coast.
• Parndana Wildlife Park
• Kangaroo Island Penguin Centre which was formerly known as Kangaroo Island Marine Centre, at Kingscote.
• Murray Lagoon with its abundant aquatic 4 Raven life.
Kangaroo is fondly called ‘KI’ by the locals and is a pleasure to visit considering the changing landscape at every turn; from dense forests to soaring cliffs, from towering sand dunes to wetlands and huge arcs of bone white beaches. This island has a rich cultural heritage that can be seen in its people’s welcoming spirits. Kangaroo Island also has famous bee reserves, which is also a reason why it is illegal to get bees on to the island.
Some Beaches and Coastlines you must visit
• Dudley Peninsula
Antechamber Bay – Chapman River
Hog Bay Beach, Penneshaw
• American River and Districts
Flour Cask Bay
• Kingscote and Districts
• North Coast
Western River Cove
• West End
• South Coast
Kangaroo Island Accommodation
Accommodation on this island is an experience in itself considering the scenic beauty you can see from your windows. There are many excellent choices to choose from like a beach house with Aqua On Wrights, http://www.aquaonwrights.com or hotels, resorts, bed and breakfasts, camping grounds and service apartments and cottages.